Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Is the Economy Really So Bad?

While I have my own serious concerns about the state of the economy, I do believe that the negativity is vastly (and melodramatically) overstated by the media. I saw some network news report the other night that made passing reference to “…with the economy now in recession…”

Well, it’s technically not, of course. But why let facts get in the way of a good story, especially one that will help the Democratic party?

As for the housing crisis…well, plenty of blame to go around there. A couple of years ago, I had the hobby of reading an online forum for mortgage brokers, and I simply could not believe how that business was being run; people I wouldn’t have lent a dollar were getting jumbo mortgages based on no documentation at all. There’s no way that was going to have a happy ending, and it’s a long way from over even now.

More work, less whining will get the economy moving better than any new tax-and-spend-and-spend government initiatives.

As for “windfall profit tax”, there’s another word for it–stealing. But that’s one of government’s specialties, isn’t it?

Scott

No comments: