Saturday, September 13, 2008

McCain's Convention Speech

I thought his speech was okay. McCain isn’t a great speaker, but his sincerity is quite evident, and that’s worth a lot, at least to me.

I worry that presidential elections will hinge too much on who sounds better in front of a teleprompter, a sort of American Idol empty-headedness (it’s already true of one party).

We need an emotional connection to our leaders, no doubt. In fact, I believe that an emotional connection is necessary for any successful undertaking. But on its own, it’s not enough.

McCain’s emotional connection is way, way different from Obama’s. Obama acts born to it; McCain survived the crucible, and it has left its marks on him, quite literally. His discussion of imprisonment was quite moving.

To sum up, Obama is the comfort of a down pillow. McCain is the security of a good sword, tempered to be strong, flexible--and respected.

That’s what I think came across in his speech.

Scott

No comments: