Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sarah Palin Grilled by Charlie Gibson on the Economy

I adore Palin; I think she’s the best thing to happen to American politics in a generation. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to has some misgivings about her as President. As VP, though, she’s a treasure.

I also agree that her answer about the economy wasn’t great.
Here’s what I would have said:

“Improve the economy? How about a $750,000,000,000 shot in the arm, starting tomorrow? That’s what we’re paying foreign countries for their oil. Do you think that keeping that money in America would help the economy? If we were paying Americans to drill for American oil and gas, those highly-paid workers would be buying houses, cars, TVs, and other stuff; they’d be eating in restaurants, getting haircuts, going to movies, and buying stock in American companies. In other words, they’d be spending money in America, creating jobs for more Americans. Think that’d help, Charlie? I do, and that’s why I support exploration and production of American energy resources. Let’s start today. Are you with me?”

This isn’t just chatter. Where I live (Fort Worth, Texas), we’re seeing a lot of natural gas exploration. It creates jobs; the workers buy cars here, rent houses here, buy local services. In addition, the lease royalties paid to property owners is like found money (I’m getting some myself). This adds up to our local economy being quite strong, and I’ll take it over more tax-and-spend wasteful government programs any damned day of the week.

Scott

No comments: